When you are under stress, your body responds to the perceived threat by preparing itself to fight or flee. In any case, your body’s systems get pumped up to have immediate access to energy. The body usually does this producing adrenaline and cortisol. Today we are going to run through the top 5 supplements to conquer high cortisol levels.
Is Cortisol a steroid?
Cortisol is a steroid, an organic molecule with a particular shape, generated by the adrenal gland, part of the kidney system, and controlled by other endocrine organs like the hypothalamus.
Cortisol acts over many metabolic processes, especially where fat, protein and carbohydrates are involved. It also works on low glucose concentrations in the blood, so it has a close relationship with the production of energy in the cells.
It is imperative then to keep levels of cortisol in the system within a healthy range. Like everything else, high or low levels of cortisol, or any other hormone or substance for that matter, can be harmful to you.
What happens if cortisol spikes?
If cortisol goes above healthy levels will produce rapid and abnormal weight gain, high blood pressure, obstructions of the immune system, infections likely conditions, osteoporosis, and skin problems. Low cortisol levels induce weight loss, muscle weakness, and mood changes.
In this article, we´re going to touch on the high-level aspects of cortisol. There are some strategies and supplements you can approach to keep your cortisol in check.
Recommended strategies to conquer high cortisol levels
The strategies we are supporting are actions planned to reduce or eliminate stress in your life. They require some planning and commitment for them to be useful and productive but the benefits are priceless.
Design a weekly plan of regular exercise and stick to it as much as possible. Remember, cortisol is produced in response to a stressful situation, and nobody argues against the relief a good work out session brings to the body and mind.
Remember, you must sleep
Don’t neglect your sleeping time. It has been determined in an excellent way that sleep deprivation increases the level of cortisol in your blood.
Missing sleep time, shifting of sleeping periods, coffee consumption at night, even exposure to lights during sleep, are sponsors of high cortisol.
Stay away from stressful situations and stressful thoughts. Learn to avoid living in the past and to dwell on bad memories. Learn to focus your mind on the present.
Learn and use relaxing techniques. Meditation, deep breathing, listening to relaxing or classical music, walks in the park; all these improve cortisol levels and wellbeing.
Best natural supplements to conquer high cortisol levels
Now let’s talk about the best natural supplements to combat runaway cortisol levels in the blood. In a general way, any kind of supplement that helps to relax or that lower your stress level is suitable for combating high cortisol.
- Fish oil, which is to say, omega 3. This fatty acid is essential in the process of reducing cholesterol and triglycerides, improving the use of glucose, making more energy and lowering blood pressure. All of this prevents the activation of the stress response in the adrenal glands.
- Ginseng improves mental concentration and oxygenation of the brain augmenting thus your capacity to withstand stress by minimising the need for your system to stress response. Ginseng is a most potent antioxidant; it has antidepressant effects, keeps your blood pressure on the healthy side and helps control blood sugar levels.
- Ashwagandha is an Indian herb used since ancient times to regulate the immune system and keep anxiety levels low. Again, to maintain control over your body stress answer is essential to control the production of cortisol.
- Complex B vitamins, especially B9, folic acid, and B12, are crucial to promote healthy stress response. Vitamins from this group are essential in the production of several enzymes related to the making of cholesterol. Therefore, B-vitamin supplementation may significantly reduce the effects of stress.
- Finally, there are several key minerals like calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium that support, maintain and improve the performance of the adrenal glands and effectiveness of adrenal hormones like cortisol. Also, zinc, chromium, and selenium are involved in the function of the adrenal glands.
All these supplements are necessary elements in building solid nutritional habits, and we need to make sure we get at least the minimum required to ensure a healthy system.
So, if you are not sure about your intake of these elements through your regular eating be sure to supplement it.
To stay on top of your nutritional requirements and keep cortisol action in check it is recommended that you participate in a supplementation regime.
Products such as the following will help you stay on top of all your micro-nutritional needs as well minimise the damage stress hormones will reap on your body:
Best supplements to reduce the damage of stress on your body
- THERMAL REVOLUTION Fat Burning Supplement by MUSCLESPORT.
THERMAL REVOLUTION is without a doubt the most potent thermogenic on the current market. MUSCLESPORT has made sure to formulate the most precise and expertly dosed formula to enhance your fat burning beyond your wildest imaginings.
- CXS REVOLUTION BIOAVAILABLE CREATINE COMPLEX from MUSCLESPORT:
Anyone seriously looking to gain muscle mass and increase strength knows that creatine supplementation is necessary and MUSCLESPORT’s CXS is the product to use. CXS REVOLUTION contains some of the most creatine rich pharmaceutical grade sources known to man. Fenugreek extracts that will improve insulin sensitivity to ensure creatine uptake
- GLYCOSLIN ADVANCED INSULIN MIMETIC GLUCOSE DISPOSAL AGENT:
The most potent insulin driver and nutrient delivery system on the market, GLYCOSLIN, is your one-stop for nutrient partitioning, glucose uptake and massive pumps!
- KODIAK AMMO is a BCAA POWERHOUSE.
It has all the Branched-Chain Amino Acids you need in a 3:1:1 ratio guaranteed to provide you with the most growth, energy, and endurance. It also includes other ingredients that have been scientifically and methodically proven to: accelerate muscle growth, improve metabolism and enhance energy levels
- Webb, Heather Elizabeth, et al. “Aerobic fitness affects cortisol responses to concurrent challenges.” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 45.2 (2013): 379-386.
- Dickerson, Sally S., and Margaret E. Kemeny. “Acute stressors and cortisol responses: a theoretical integration and synthesis of laboratory research.” Psychological Bulletin3 (2004): 355.
- Weitzman, Elliot D., et al. ” Twenty-four-hour pattern of the episodic secretion of cortisol in normal subjects.” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 33.1 (1971): 14-22.
We have, in preparing this information, used our best endeavours to ensure that the information contained herein is true and accurate, but accept no responsibility and disclaim all liability in respect of any errors, inaccuracies or misstatements contained herein. Information guide only and any other further information should be considered by a professional.